Application for a Philippine Marriage License

In WeddingPedia by wedding6 Comments

Marriage License: a requirement for either a Civil or Church wedding to be held in the Philippines. The Application Form for a marriage license must be secured at the Local Civil Registrar from the city, town or municipality where either the bride or the groom habitually resides. The personal appearance of those getting married is required in applying for a marriage license.

Each of the contracting parties shall file separately a sworn application for each license with the proper local civil registrar. Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the Application to the issuance of the marriage license. The license is valid for 120 days from date of issuance and may be used anywhere in the Philippines.

At the time the contracting parties appear to file their application for a Marriage License to the local civil registrar, he or she must also submit the following supporting documents:

1. Birth Certificate – Certified True Copy required of each the contracting parties with the respective registry number. This document is issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO).

NOTE: NSO now provides various channels for procuring copies of birth and marriage certificates. There is the NSO Birth Certificate Delivery Helpline (02) 737.111, an NSO certificate nationwide door-to-door delivery service. It is available 24 hours, 7 days a week even on Sundays and Holidays. An online service is also available at and at e-Census, a web facility aimed to provide Filipinos within and outside the country an alternative means in applying for copies of their civil registry documents. You can also reach them at [email protected] or at [email protected].

2. Parents’ Consent (for 18-21 years old) or Parent’s Advice (for 21-25 years old): Under Philippine law, the legal age for marriage is 18. If the contracting parties are between the ages of 18 and 21, they must present written consent to the marriage from their father, mother or legal guardian. While any contracting party between the age of 22 and 25 must present written parental advice, i.e., a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple’s intent to marry. Read Parental Consent vs. Parental Advice for a detailed discussion on the difference between the two terms.

3. Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marital counseling and family planning seminar conducted by the Division of Maternal and Child Health at the Municipal/City Hall in the same municipality or city where the contracting parties applied for the marriage license.

FOR FOREIGNERS: Philippine law requires a citizen or subject of a foreign country to obtain a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. It is issued by the diplomatic or consular offices of his or her country, prior to the issuance of a marriage license in the Philippines. This serves as a clearance or permit from the consul as an actual proof of the subject’s civil status and his/her eligibility for marriage.


  1. melissa salazar


    My wedding will be on Oct and I have no idea how to go about these papers. My friends had some else do this for them. My question, where do I start? and 2nd my wedding is in Antipolo, do I have we have to register in Antipolo City as well? or can it be in QC City hall?

    Thank you!

    1. Team WaW

      Hi Melissa. You might want to join our community of brides and grooms. We have a forum wherein you can ask your questions. Other couples can share their personal experiences with you related to your concerns. To register, kindly fill up the form on this page: Thanks!

  2. Tanya Daquigan


    I am not sure if “Parent’s Consent” is a form or what? Can you clarify please?

    1. Team WaW

      Hi, Tanya. Yes, there is a separate form for Parent’s Consent that you can also get when you apply for your marriage license.

  3. Frances

    Regarding Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marriage counseling, family planning, and responsible parenthood seminar….am I allowed to submit certificate of completion of pre-cana seminar abroad? (We are both based in Australia and are now Aust citizens)?

  4. Grace P.

    Hello! My fiance is in AUS and will be back on June 8, 2018. Our civil wedding’s planned on June 19. Is personal appearance non-negotiable for marriage license application? Hope you can answer. Thanks!

Share your thoughts!